Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Home from 2nd surgery

Today was quite a wild ride. Surgery was scheduled for 11:45. Lee and I were on our way and in the parking lot when a nurse called and said an emergency came in and they were running about 2 hours behind. So I went home, changed into my tennis shoes and went out for a walk. If I stayed home all my food in the house would have been calling my name.
After walking about 30 min. she called again and said they juggled some stuff and can get us in now. So Lee picked me up where I was and we went up, started the IV and my surgeon came in and talked to us. He also let us know that another emergency came in and I would have to wait again.
Our discussion was what we know. That the margins weren't good and that he needed to get them all. He will take out a little more of an area closer to the nipple and closer to the outside of the breast. He also said they found that I have both types of cancer, ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC). The IDC we knew but the other we didn't he believes that it is a small amount but if this comes back that there is more to get he would be worried there are little patches all over and we can't just keep going in taking little by little. A masectomy would be in order then. Ugh! I will pray for the best but I didn't like hearing that.
I got in for surgery around 4:30 and I came home at about 8. A lot less pain this time coming out of it because they knew what meds to use with me this time. Praise God!
He will have these results back now in a couple of days. So in the meantime recovery, pills, ice and waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment