Saturday, September 5, 2009

the results are in....

The surgeon called yesterday to let me know that all of the margins that were removed from the last surgery came back clear. All cancer has been removed from the breast. This is such fantastic news. So the next steps now are appointments with the medical and radiology Oncologists. They will discuss my plans and options for treatment. But for sure I am looking at radiation.



I did have a question for the nurse though today. I have fluid build-up in my left breast and I can now hear it sloshing around when I walk. It is like having a water balloon (this is not over exaggerated either.) She told me what it was so I went and looked it up and here is what I found.

Following lumpectomy, a space remains in the breast that was previously occupied by breast tissue. It is natural for spaces such as this to fill with fluid as the body responds normally to this missing tissue. The term "seroma" is the name for clear fluid buildup; the word "hematoma" is used to describe a blood collection. Finding fluid in the lumpectomy space is in no way abnormal. In most instances the body will reabsorb the fluid within a year after surgery, and longer periods of time are not rare. On occasion, the fluid formation may be uncomfortable and may even protrude from the breast. In these instances, your surgeon may elect to aspirate some of the fluid. Remember, there is no cause for concern. It is best, however, if you allow your doctor to recheck this area to make sure that you are healing properly.

Mark and Molly invited me up to their house this weekend and I accepted. We all decided I could recover here just as well as I can at my house. So, I drove up yesterday and was here by 3pm. Just in time for dinner. Mark made German stroganoff, salad and fresh corn on the cob. His friend, Dan, also joined us for dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord for the great results! I'm so happy to hear this news, and the news that you're healing faster than with your first surgery. And what a blessing Mark has been and is to you! Love you - Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawnae!!! I've been thinking about you a lot and I'm glad you're doing this blog!!! My prayers are with you and I'm really happy to hear that you're doing better than expected! Love you!

    ReplyDelete