Tuesday, August 11, 2009

July 27, 2009

Hello all,

I am writing to kind of give you an overview of what is going on with the findings. I had a lump that was found on the ultrasound after the mammogram. They biopsied it and found that it is cancerous.

I went in and met with the surgeon yesterday. He gave me an exam and basically checked out under my armpits where the lymphnodes are to see if everything there was alright. It was.

We then discussed my options for removal. It is 8x10x14 mm in size. The largest part of it is the width of your thumbnail. They are rated 1-3 with 3 being the worst, mine is a 1. The good parts are I am young, they found it early, it is small, and there is no evidence that it has spread to the lymphnodes at this stage. The cancer I have is called invasive ductoral cancer. It is harder to treat because it can spread to the lymph nodes.

What I will most likely have done for removal and treatment:

1. MRI- tomorrow to view both breast to see if there are any more lumps. if so find out if they are cancerous.
2. Surgery- a Sentinal node biopsy. It is centrally located in the lympnodes in the armpit. while they send that out to be tested.....
3. a Lumpectomy- cut a small incision and remove the lump and a small layer of tissue surrounding that in case it has spread. Then get the findings from the sent. node biopsy. If it is negative he is done. If positive he has to remove the lymhnodes.
4. After the surgery- I will be at home for 2 weeks recovering, no work.
5. 2 weeks after that I have to have 6 weeks radiation, 5 days a week, M-F for half hour sessions. These, I am told, have no real side effects at first but as time goes on it makes you very tired, sluggish, can't do as much in a day. I will also get like a sunburn at the radiation target area.
Hopefully at that point it will be done and there will be no more steps. Otherwise there is Chemo. Well there it is. If you have anymore questions about it let me know. I am a roller coaster of emotions right now as I amsure that you are. I am sorry to throw this at you but I thought you should know. I am exhausted from my day so headed to bed. A very early day tomorrow and then the MRI.
Love you, Shawnae

1 comment:

  1. Shawnae, this is a great idea to keep us updated on your progress. Thank you! I like it so much that I took the idea for myself. Since I am so very distant from all of you I thought it would be a great idea to do the same myself. My new blogspoot is located at
    http://nancyblogspot.blogspot.com. You are going to have to tell me how to put pictures and stuff on it. I love you my sister and am praying for you! God has you in His hands. Know that!
    Love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete